A faulty front wheel bearing can pose a lot of danger if not immediately attended to by an experienced mechanic. If you realize your Jaguar is showing abnormal signs in connection to wheel movement, it can be an indication of a faulty front wheel bearing.
Like many other components, the wheels of a car have several parts that ensure smooth movement. One of such components is the front wheel bearing, which is a crucial part of the wheel assembly. A wheel bearing is a set of steel balls held together by a ring called a race. They reduce friction and ensure the car glides at the appropriate speed. Your Jaguar front wheel bearing is located in the vehicle’s front tires.
The age-long adage of “prevention is better than cure” rings true. You must pay attention to the signs to prevent permanent wheel damage and road mishaps. A failed front-wheel bearing could result from bad roads, poor installation, driving conditions, and accidents.
Signs Of a Failed Front Wheel Bearing
- Noise: Usually, hearing noise from any part of your vehicle is an indication that something is wrong with your vehicle and the front wheel bearing of your Jaguar is no exception. You must pay rapt attention to strange noises, particularly humming, growling, and whining sounds which may increase as the car accelerates. Apart from normal engine vibrations and your stereo music, any unusual noise should be promptly inspected.
- Vibrations or Shaking Steering Wheels: A shaky steering wheel or a vibrating car is a sign of a defective front wheel bearing. Once you notice these symptoms, you should immediately contact a Jaguar specialist for a proper diagnosis. Leaving the sign unattended may lead to uncontrolled swerving and accidents in some extreme cases.
- Pulling: This is also one of the common signs of a faulty front-end wheel bearing. If you notice that your vehicle is not following your steering instructions while driving, this is an indication of a fault with the front-end wheel bearing. If your car also acts like it has a mind of its own and veers off in a different direction, you may want to consider taking it to a mechanic.
- Uneven tire wear and tear: Uneven wear on your front tires may signify a faulty front wheel bearing. You should conduct regular tire inspections as it helps you spot issues with your tires before it develops into a costly fix.
Whenever you notice any of the symptoms discussed above, you should consult a mechanic for a proper diagnosis, leaving the symptoms unattended may cause further damage to other vehicle parts.
Causes of a Front Wheel Bearing Failure
- Bad Roads: The road condition significantly impacts the longevity of your wheel bearing. Driving on bad or uneven roads impact takes a toll on the bearing, which will eventually cause it to fail. You should always exercise extreme caution when driving on bad roads to reduce the impact on your bearings.
- Driving in Water: Exposing the bearings to moisture will cause the lubrication to wear down and consequently affects its proper functioning. When exposed to water, you may begin to notice unusual sounds from the bearing and may have to get them replaced.
- Wrong Installation: If you notice unusual noise from the wheel bearings after recently replacing them, it may be due to incorrect installation. That’s why we always advise that you entrust your repairs and maintenance to expert mechanics experienced in your vehicle brand.
Cerrone’s European for All European Vehicle Service and Maintenance
At Cerrone’s European, we have hands-on experience dealing with European vehicles, including your Jaguar. We understand that Jaguar is a unique brand with sophisticated features, and we are capable of tailoring our services to meet your unique needs. Our specialized technicians have all the diagnostic tools and software to handle any problems your Jaguar may encounter.
We are located in Los Angeles, CA, and we have been the area’s leading independent European service center since 1976. We are committed to delivering the best service to European car owners in the city. Please call or visit our shop to book your next service appointment. We look forward to earning your repeat business.
* Jaguar F-Pace Car image credit goes to: YuriyVlasenko.