You want your Land Rover to be there for you when you need it to be, but if the head gasket is leaking, it may not be as reliable as it once was. In this article, we’re going over the purpose of the head gasket, what things may cause it to fail, and how to fix it if there is an issue.
The Head Gasket
As you might expect from something called the head gasket, it plays a pretty important role in the continued operation of your vehicle. The head gasket’s job is to seal the combustion chamber and allow important fluids like coolant and oil to enter the engine while simultaneously preventing harmful gases from leaving it and debris from getting inside it.
The Causes of Head Gasket Leaks
As with most car problems, there is not just one possible reason for why your Land Rover’s head gasket may be leaking. Since the internal system of a car is such a deeply-interconnected web, many different things can lead to this issue. However, here are a few of the most common:
- Wear and Tear: Unfortunately, as a car ages, it starts to wear down and become less efficient. This isn’t necessarily something that can be avoided entirely, though proper maintenance can increase your vehicle’s longevity. Even with that, however, the inside of a car is a very volatile place, and the components of the engine are under constant heat, stress, and pressure while you are driving. That leads to deterioration.
- Rough Driving: On a similar note, you can accelerate the natural deterioration process of your car’s systems by regularly driving the car over rough terrain, as many Land Rover owners are expected to do.
- Overheating Engine: This is a bad sign in general, but it also increases the chances of a head gasket leak as oil and fluids leak out, creating more friction, which generates more extreme heat.
- Oil Issues: You may not realize it, but the quality and condition of the oil inside your engine is very important to making sure that the car runs smoothly and that the head gasket continues to work as it should. Using the wrong oil or allowing the oil to sit too long and become dirty or old can cause problems, and not just for the head gasket.
- Low Water Level: This is something that can be caused by leaks and poor upkeep. It’s a good idea to check on the fluid levels in your vehicle on a regular basis to make sure everything is as it should be.
- Bad Antifreeze/Coolant: Similar to oil, using the right kind of antifreeze can have an effect on the efficiency of your vehicle. It is also best to avoid using cheap antifreeze or leaving antifreeze in the vehicle for too long, causing it to get dirty or old.
- Thermostat Failure: When the engine overheats, it can cause the thermostat to fail, so it’s a good indication that there is something wrong.
Come to Cerrone’s European for Your Land Rover’s Head Gasket Leak
Maintaining a car requires a lot of work, but bringing your car to a professional to do the work makes that a much quicker and easier process. That’s why you should bring your car to a mechanic anytime you notice a problem. They have the expertise and skills necessary to determine what the issue is and find a solution with much more speed and accuracy than the average person could.
Whether you suspect your Land Rover’s head gasket may be leaking, you have some other problem, or your car just needs some routine maintenance, residents of and visitors to Redwood City, California, should feel free to come by Cerrone’s European.
With our specialization in all of your favorite European car brands, you can be sure we can get your car back into its best shape as soon as possible. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you or schedule an appointment, stop by our store or contact our friendly technicians today to find out about any questions you may have!