Causes of a Coolant Light Illumination in a BMW by Certified Mechanics in Real Redwood City
BMW cars are known for their superior strength and performance. These luxurious cars might experience mechanical or electrical problems, such as a coolant issue that can cause the vehicle’s dashboard warning light to come on.
The easiest way that your car can alert you to a problem is with lights on the dashboard. Understanding the light’s significance and the potential causes of this illumination can help you respond appropriately and provide essential maintenance for your BMW.
Reasons Why The Coolant Light May Come On
The following reasons can lead to the illumination of the coolant check light on your car’s dashboard:
- Low Coolant Level: This is the most frequent cause of the coolant check light coming on. In this case, there are many possible issues that can make the coolant level drop. You can fill up the coolant yourself if there is no underlying issue, but you might want to change the coolant in your BMW from an expert auto shop.
- Defective sensor: Most cars feature a sensor in the tank containing the coolant that floats and activates when the level of the coolant drops too low. Your vehicle can have a malfunctioning coolant sensor if your coolant check light is on even when the coolant level in the tank is not low, and there seem not to be any leaks.
A malfunctioning coolant sensor may unintentionally turn on the dashboard check light. When you bring your automobile to our mechanic, they can run a diagnostic test on the computer to see if there is a broken sensor and change it if necessary.
The Possible Causes of Low Coolant Level
A trained automotive expert is required to diagnose and treat the most critical issues that could cause your coolant to be low. Your car could have many problems that lead to low coolant levels, such as:
- When the coolant tank or reservoir overflows or leaks, it causes a drop in the reservoir level.
- A leak in the water pump could cause the level of the coolant to drop.
- Radiator leakage could also cause low coolant levels in your BMW.
- The hoses connected to your radiator could also leak and cause the level of the coolant to drop.
- Head gasket failure causing coolant to burn up or pressure in the cooling system to be affected by damaged or cracked radiator seal (no leak).
What to Do When the Coolant Check Light Turns On
You should safely pull your car over as soon as possible if the coolant check light on the dashboard of your BMW is on since it is a sure warning that your engine may be overheating. You run the danger of permanently harming your car if you opt to disregard the warning light.
Before checking the coolant levels, park or stop your BMW, then wait for the car to cool off for at least 30 minutes. If you don’t wait for the vehicle to cool off, pressurized, hot steam that escapes from your coolant tank could burn you if you open it too soon.
Inspect the coolant tank beneath the hood of the car to determine whether the level of fluid is low after the engine has had time to cool down. If the coolant has dropped, you should carefully turn the cap to remove any trapped pressure before fully opening the coolant reservoir and add coolant as necessary until the reservoir is full.
You should consider having your BMW towed to an expert repair shop if you discover any leaks. You can drive your car to a repair shop if there are no visible leaks and the coolant check light on the dashboard has stopped working. It is advised that you take your car in for an inspection & servicing as soon as possible, whether or not you observe leakage, to make sure your BMW is safe to be driven and to make sure any potential concerns are rectified before they create more issues.
Cerrone’s European Auto Repair Shop for Resolving Issues Relating to Coolant Leak
Any problems preventing the exact coolant amount from displaying in your BMW engine must be fixed because coolant is an essential component of your car while in operation. Your BMW will receive expert automobile maintenance at Cerrone’s European.
You can be confident in your choice when you visit our Redwood City auto repair shop. Our service advisors take the time to explain the rationale behind our recommendations. Bring your car to Cerrone’s European now and let our expert mechanics help you get back on the road.